|National Centre of Rehabilitation Education (NCORE)|
|Derby Teaching Hospitals, London Road Community Hospital, London Road, Derby. DE1 2QY|
|Vestibular Rehabilitation/Dizziness for Occupational Therapists|
|On 23rd - 24th January 2020 in Derby for 2 Day(s)|
|at London Road Community Hospital|
Dizziness is among the most common patient complaints and can complicate
Occupational Therapy intervention.
This course allows Occupational Therapists to evaluate and differentiate their patients
dizziness. Using movement and exercise, Occupational Therapists can also effectively
treat common causes of dizziness. This intense two day course covers the essentials
of vestibular assessment and treatment. A strong emphasis is placed on clinical
assessment, differential diagnosis and treatment selection.
Delegates will be taught to identify signs and symptoms that indicate central/sinister
pathology. The vestibular rehabilitation techniques included in the course have a
strong evidence base. Discussion regarding the application of vestibular rehabilitation
assessment and treatment in the context of Occupational Therapy and Scope of
Practice will be included. The course content is particularly applicable to patient/client
groups who are prone to falling.
- Understand basic vestibular anatomy and physiology (semicircular canal orientation+function and the vestibulo-ocular reflex in particular)
- Have an overview of the main vestibular pathologies
- Take a relevant subjective history including vestibular special questions
- Carry out a clinical oculomotor examination
- Clinically assess the vestibulo-ocular reflex (dynamic visual acuity, infrared video analysis and head thrust test)
- Clinically evaluate different types of nystagmus (central/sinister s peripheral/benign)
- Carry out an appropriate outcome-based assessment of balance
- Do positional testing for BPPV, interpret findings and treat using the appropriate manoeuvre (posterior, anterior and horizontal canal variants
- Devise, evaluate and progress a patient-specific exercise-based rehabilitation programme
- Understand how the content of the course could be integrated in the Occupational Therapy role.
- Reference Material: Vestibular Rehabilitation 3rd Edition, Susan Herdman (2007)
- Attendance certificate will be issued.
|Fees / Funded Places|
- Limited funded places may be available for AHP's & nurses working for the NHS within
the East Midlands
|Click [here] for more information or to book this event.|